True Freedom: Winning the Battle Against Pornography
Offering information, help, and guidance in regards to resisting pornography use
Please note that these sites are not affiliated with the Family Life Ministry of Holy Family Parish. We provide this information solely for your information. We are not responsible for, nor do we endorse, their policies, the views they express, the products and services they offer, or the content of their materials or websites.
- www.loveisfaithful.com/: My House Mission from the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas: An initiative aimed at fostering the virtue of chastity by building awareness of the effects of pornography in society, offering support and healing for those harmed by it, and educating Catholics on what they can do to protect their families from its influence.
- www.ReclaimSexualHealth.com: Overcome pornography and other unhealthy sexual behavior with this professional, science based Catholic tool.
Materials in Spanish
CATHOLIC CDs and DVDs
- www.socialcostsofpornography.com: Presented by the Witherspoon Institute, this website features the consultation on "The Social Costs of Pornography" where leading experts in the fields of psychiatry, psychology, neurophysiology, philosophy, sociology, law, and political theory present a rigorously argued overview of the problem of pornography in our society and to make recommendations (includes videos from recent conference about these studies)
- "The Pornography Plague and the Path to Christian Purity," CD- Jeff Cavins http://www.ascensionpress.com/
- "Winning the Battle for Sexual Purity," CD- (A Talk For Men) Christopher West (also on DVD).http://www.christopherwest.com/
- "Face the Darkness, Illuminate the Night," brand new, comprehensive DVD series on porn. Includes interviews with Christopher West. http://www.theologyofthebody.net/
- "Cybersex and the Priesthood--Sex, Shame, Addiction," CD- Fr. Stephen Rossetti, PhD, D. Min.http://www.albahouse.org/
- "The Interior Gaze--A Remedy for Pornovision and Lust"--Byzantine Catholic priest and artist, Fr. Thomas Loya, demonstrates through design and art how to "see" the beauty of the human body as God intendedhttp://www.theologyofthebody.net/
- "Pure of Heart: Breaking Free from Porn", CD- Jason Evert
BISHOP'S STATEMENTS ON THE EFFECTS OF PORNOGRAPHY
RECENT ARTICLES ON THE EFFECTS OF PORNOGRAPHY
KEY FINDINGS ON THE EFFECTS OF PORNOGRAPHY
(from Patrick Fagan's article)
- The Courage to Be Chaste by Fr. Benedict Groeschel, CFR. A modern classic with many practical tips.
- Boys to Men by Tim Gray and Curtis Martin
- Every Man’s Battle, Every Young Man’s Battle and Preparing your Son for Every Man’s Battle by Stephen Arterburn and Fred Stoeker
- Breaking Free: 12 Steps to Sexual Purity by Stephen Wood
- Be a Man! by Larry Richards
- Pure Manhood by Jason Evert
- Hope After Betrayal: Healing When Sexual Addiction Invades Your Marriage by Meg Wilson
- Treating Pornography Addiction: The Essential Tool for Recovery by Ph.D. Kevin B. Skinner
- Out of the Shadows: Understanding Sexual Addiction by Patrick Carnes
- Love, Marriage & ...Pornography? by Robert Borys: The booklet is a great resource for those preparing for marriage, for those already married and for anyone interested in knowing about the harmful effects of Internet pornography on relationships, love, family and marriage. This booklet and other products can be purchased atwww.ccaparents.com. (Discounts are available for churches).
Married men who are involved in pornography feel less satisfied with their conjugal relations and less emotionally attached to their wives. Wives notice and are upset by the difference.
Pornography use is a pathway to infidelity and divorce, and is frequently a major factor in these family disasters.
Among couples affected by one spouse's addiction, two-thirds experience a loss of interest in sexual intercourse.
Prolonged consumption of pornography by men produces stronger notions of women as commodities or as "sex objects."
(excerpts above; full article maybe found
on the USCCB Website; and here
Theresa Notare, PhD, is the Assistant Director of the NFP Program, Secretariat for Laity, Marriage, Family Life and Youth, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. To learn more on how pornography harms marriage and to read other marriage building articles, visit
"At a family party one of my relatives, a wife and mother, made an outrageous statement. She said there is “nothing wrong with
magazine.” She actually called it “innocent.” I had to spend the rest of our conversation helping her understand that pornography—any pornography—is not only wrong, but a potential marriage breaker..."
"The escalating use of pornography on the Internet reveals that we are in troubled waters.
About 1.5 billion pornographic downloads occur each month
from “peer to peer” file-sharing websites; 2.5 billion pornographic e-mails are sent each day; and online pornographic products and services are sold for $2.84 billion dollars annually in the United States. Most of this traffic is conducted by men..."
"Spouses need to safeguard their union and reject anything, like pornography, that will compromise their love They must strive to love each other well—reverently, joyfully, and yes, passionately, always in the light of God’s loving embrace.... "