PARISH CATECHETICAL LEADER
A Parish Catechetical Leader (PCL) is anyone who serves as the Director/Assistant Coordinator of the Parish Religious Education (Catechetical) Program within the Diocese of Victoria.
QUALIFICATIONS OF A PARISH CATECHETICAL LEADER TAKEN FROM THE NATIONAL DIRECTORY FOR CATECHESIS (NDC)
1. Only fully initiated, practicing Catholics who fully adhere to the Church’s teaching in faith and morals and who are models of Christian virtue and courageous witnesses to the Catholic faith should be designated as Parish Catechetical Leaders. (NDC, 54.5)
2. A Parish Catechetical Leader is one who has updated knowledge of theology, Scripture, Liturgy, catechesis and catechetical methodology, educational psychology and theory, and administration, as well as some practical catechetical experience with adults, youth, and children. (NDC, 54.5)
3. A Parish Catechetical Leader is one who is willing to continue his/her personal, spiritual, and professional development and participate in diocesan programs of in-service training and formation, catechetical institutes, conventions, retreats, and accredited programs. (NDC, 54.5)
REQUIREMENTS OF A PARISH CATECHETICAL LEADER IN THE DIOCESE OF VICTORIA
The Parish Catechetical Leader:
• must complete the Diocese of Victoria Safe Environment training and background check prior to beginning the ministry.
• must complete the Diocese of Victoria Basic Formation and Training for Parish Catechetical Leadership within the first year of hire.
• must complete the Diocese of Victoria Pastoral Institute Short-Term Basic Catechist Certificate (59 clock hours) within three years.
• must be willing to work toward the Diocese of Victoria Pastoral Institute Advanced Catechist Certificate (161 clock hours).
• must have a comprehensive knowledge of the General Directory for Catechesis and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. (NDC, 54.5)
• must comply with all the Diocesan Policies and Procedures enumerated in the Diocesan Policy and Procedure Manual for the YOUTH MINISTER LEADER/PARISH CATECHETICAL LEADER.